AquaSox Return Home to Find a King on the Hill!

Pictured: Felix Hernandez (Shari Sommerfeld/Everett AquaSox)

The Everett AquaSox returned home Friday night to the tune of Star Wars, Funko Friday and the reappearance of a King.  The Louis Boyd era started with a rough 3-7 road trip, but to come home to the King and a sold-out crowd, things were looking up for the rookie manager.  King Felix Hernandez, of the Seattle Mariners, was named starting pitcher for the opener against their cross-state nemesis, the Spokane Indians.  Spokane had taken the first half title from the Frogs and they were looking for redemption and what a better place for it at home in front of a sell-out crowd.  Under the beautiful summer skies of Everett on the ever-popular Star Wars night, the King took his place on his throne and game one of the series was under way.

Felix was dominant from the get-go as he would quickly retire the side.  The Frogs bats continued to be dormant as they went down as well.  In the 2nd inning, the King would strike out two Indian batters.  Felix Hernandez final stats were 6 up and 6 down, striking out two while throwing twenty pitches, a dominating performance but not normally expected in a minor league rehab performance.  His velocity was down, but Felix was throwing junk all night. He left to a standing ovation.

The AquaSox offense continued to be quiet as they quietly went down after a lead-off walk.  Mariner’s first round pick George Kirby took over in the 3rd inning and struck out the side around a triple he gave up.  After three full innings, both teams were tied at zero as it looked like a long night of goose eggs for both ballclubs.  Pitcher Deivy Florido took over the fourth inning and would pitch the next five innings allowing only one run.  Would it be good enough?  Connor Hoover would plate a Frog run in the 4th to put them up 1-0.  As both teams offenses couldn’t catch a break it quickly reached the bottom of the 7th.  The Frogs would finally come alive.  Everett would plate 4 runs to go up 5-0.  The highlight of the inning was a 2-run triple by Billy Cooke.  In the 8th, the Indians of Spokane would plate a run.  They would secure another run in the 9th inning but it wasn’t enough.  On a fun and amazing Friday night in Everett, the Frogs would take game one 5-2.  Everett saw their second half record increase to 4-7.

Saturday night Juan Then took the mound for the Frogs.  Though he pitched decent, it wasn’t enough.  Juan would go 4 innings and give up 2 runs.  Everett’s offense would go silent, something that unfortunately has happened quite often this summer.  They would acquire one hit and plate one run late in the ballgame.  On the field they would commit four errors.  In the end, Everett would fall 7-1 to see their record fall to 4-8.  The series was tied 1-1 as both teams went off to enjoy the fireworks, get some sleep and return Sunday afternoon for game three.

Sunday afternoon, under the hot skies of Everett, Kelvin Nunez took the mound.  Kelvin started out a little shaky, but in the end, it was a dominating performance with his quality start.  He would go five innings allowing four hits and zero runs.  On a day where the Frogs would produce a whopping 13 hits, they didn’t score until inning five where they would go up 2-0.  Local boy Brennon Kaleiwahea, catcher from Lacey (Washington), belted his first home run of the season to put the Frogs up 1-0.  Later in the inning All-Star Patrick Frick would belt an RBI double to put Everett up 2-0.

In the 6th inning, the bullpen would take over and Kelvin Nunez’s chance for win went bye-bye fast.  Kipp Rollins would come in, walk the first two batters, and before you know it he would be pulled after allowing 3 runs.  Garret Westberg would come in and allow two more runs to score (charged to Rollins).  Just like that Spokane lead 5-2.  Sunday afternoon, the Frogs didn’t give up though, as they didn’t want to go into the All-Star break with a losing streak.  In the 7th inning, they would plate 3 runs to tie the ballgame at five.  Highlights of the inning were an RBI double by Patrick Frick and a 2-run single by Connor Hoover.  The game would remain scoreless after that as the game went to extra innings.  With both team tied at five, the 10th inning would start out with both teams having a runner at 2nd base, a rule that started last season to speed up the game in the minor leagues.  In the 10th inning, the Indians would plate one run to go up 6-5 off reliever Travis Kuhn.  All season long, the Frogs had trouble winning in extra innings.  On Sunday, the Frogs decided they wanted to change that statistic.  They would quickly tie it up at 6.  With the bases loaded, the Frogs would win on a walk-off walk by Robert Perez to score Connor Hoover.  Everett would win 7-6 to increase their record to 5-8 in the 2nd half of the season.

Both teams go into the All-Star break as the Northwest League plays their 2019 All-Star Game in Boise, Idaho on Tuesday August 6th.  Everett returns to action on Thursday August 8th across the border versus the Vancouver Canadians on a 3-game series before returning home Sunday the 11th against the Hillsboro Hops.  The Frogs go into the break en-fuego!  Let’s fill those seats the remainder of August and root them to the 2nd half title and the 2019 playoffs.  Seattle Sports Union will be in attendance, will you?

How about them Frogs!!

Facebook Comments
News Reporter
Brian joined the SSU in 2017 and covers the Everett AquaSox. I'm a graduate of Washington State University and I'm a die-hard baseball fan.